Saturday, November 21, 2009

Blakroc


This album deserves more than one measly blog post. I'm more than certain that, without even counting the endless list of international blogs that are already freaking the fuck out over this collaboration, my dear Austin friends have already blown up this project. I know this, because, I jumped on the bandwagon kinda late (and by late, I mean, 1 day, which is the equivalent of a million years in music blogs). They already blew it up on Twitter a day before me, so...you know how that goes...

Yes, I'm talking about Blakroc...frankly, I'm not confident enough to even do justice to it. I gather that it's the product of The Black Keys, who produced the collabs with Mos Def, GZA, RZA, Ludacris, Raekwon, etc...and, yes, ODB, dirt mcgirt. Basically, a laundry list of every living (and posthumerous) rap luminary, with a few glaring exceptions. Astounding, nonetheless. For lack of a better description, the LP is totally yummy. Yes, yummy. I've been listening to it for at least 4 days on repeat.

A little Wiki digging informed me that the biggest hip hop impresario around, Damon Dash, is overseeing the project...no surprise there, because, the package is incredibly sleek, honed and badass, and their website is no exception. No doubt he has a bunch of media gophers like me to accomplish that, but, that's beside the point....Anywhooooo...the album is among my top favorites of the year along with Phoenix, Grizzly Bear, The Xx, Florence + the Machine, Bat for Lashes and Animal Collective...Merriweather AND Fall Be Kind. The videos aren't so bad, either.*



* They're equally amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment