Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fun Fun Fun Fest Review


Fun Fun Fun was...well, for lack of a better word, a lot of fun. Hailing from Atlanta (specifically, the outer burbs near Athens...Go Dawgs!!! or, more appropriately, my favorite venue in the world, 40 Watt Club), I'm embarrassed to admit that I saw Of Montreal for the first time ever that Sunday night. Expectations met. Don't need to describe, because everyone already knows the drill on their outlandish live shows. So, here's my run down of the fest.


Top 5 FFF Fest Acts (no particular order):
1. Pharcyde
2. Of Montreal
3. Mission of Burma
4. Les Savy Fav
5. Yeasayer

Yeah, nothing that surprising. I've never had less to say about a fest. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that I saw so many different acts, that it all blends together, outside from watching all of Of Montreal and Crystal Castles on the last night. I should also note that Crystal Castles was much better live than I expected. You could tell that someone's been whipping Alice into shape and making sure she doesn't self-implode since they've developed a fairly rabid following.

I danced a lot more at the Blue Stage than I anticipated and missed out on many acts that I'd planned on seeing, but had an exceptional time...so, no regrets. I really wish that I'd seen Kid Sister, Brian Posehn, Death, Jesus Lizard, Todd Barry, HEALTH, and a bunch of other stuff, but, living in Austin, I'm sure that won't be my only opportunity. We did, however, catch Danzig playing "Mother" as the encore after Of Montreal, so that was a big win on our part. We felt very very cool.

One major surprise for me, Mission of Burma. Where have they been all my life? Probably busy being a seminal post-punk band that influenced everyone from Nirvana to R.E.M. and I never paid attention. Yeah, sounds about right. Better late than never. Also, I'm really digging their new video, "1,2,3 Partyy!!!" New weekend anthem.



Until next year, Fun Fun Fun. It was real.

No comments:

Post a Comment